Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • IWU gratefully extends military preferred pricing to active duty, Coast Guard, National Guard, Reserves, retirees, honorably discharged veterans, spouses, surviving spouses, DoD and DHS civilian employees, and dependent children with transferred benefits.

  • No – Applying to IWU is free!

  • Yes, IWU offers tests for college credit from two sources, CLEP and DSST. Students must confirm test selections with an IWU Academic Advisor before registering for and taking a test. Tests may not duplicate preexisting credits and must meet individual degree requirements.

  • Most of IWU’s courses are asynchronous, meaning there are no set days or times you must be in class. You can work toward completing course requirements on your timeline, but must meet the due dates set forth in the course syllabus.

  • Yes, IWU is honored to comply with The Higher Education Opportunity Act, enacted on August 13, 2008, which states that a university may not deny admission or readmission to a service member for reasons relating to that service. The service member qualifies if: the school is given notice of absence for service, the cumulative length of absence does not exceed five years, and the student gives notice of his or her intent to return.

    Students will be promptly readmitted in the next class (or classes) in a program, will qualify for priority/early registration, and may not be denied re-enrollment in a class based on class size.

  • The short answer is yes. Because there are so many different chapters dealing with GI Bill education benefits, IWU encourages you to contact the VA to talk with an expert about your specific benefits. Knowing your benefits will make it much easier when you talk with a VA certifying officer here at IWU.

    Quick tip: We suggest calling the VA first thing in the morning to avoid long hold times.

  • The best place to start is at your base education center. They are experts and will assist you with sending your official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or CCAF Transcript to IWU and assist in printing an unofficial copy for your records. You can also request your JST online. (view step-by-step guide)

    Though the Air Force does not currently provide an option for sending CCAF transcripts electronically, you’ll find several options for ordering them here: Air Force Transcripts

  • Yes, IWU can provisionally accept you to your program based on unofficial transcripts, but official transcripts are required in order to be fully registered for class. Your base education office can assist you with this or you can request your JST online.

  • Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

    Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions and this money is usually paid directly to the institution by your service branch. IWU encourages you to speak with your base education office about TA so you fully understand its uses.

    Active duty members may elect to use the GI Bill "Top-Up" in addition to their service-provided TA to cover high cost courses.

  • We encourage you to visit your base education office to speak with a representative about your TA benefits as each service branch has its own process. The following links can be used to apply online:


    Marine Corps


    Air Force

    Coast Guard

  • Military spouses are not eligible for military tuition assistance. There are programs, such as MyCAA, designed to assist military spouses with their educational goals.

  • The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship Program is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification, or associate degree in a portable career field and occupation.

    Sign up for MySECO (Spouse Education and Career Opportunities), which focuses on education and career preparation for military spouses.

  • Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in these same pay grades.