International Students

Reach Out


Study On Campus

Going to school far from home is exciting, but it can be intimidating, too. At Indiana Wesleyan University, we value our global student body and welcome students from all over the world. We are one of North America's most dynamic Christian colleges!

We welcome international students and visiting scholars from around the world, recognizing valuable contribution you will make to our body of students.

Why Study On Campus at IWU


You'll feel an immediate sense of belonging as you join a close Christian community


Choose an education that stresses an international perspective, one that will prepare you for success in a global world


Situated in the heart of the Midwest, IWU's Marion campus is a short trip to cultural epicenters

How to Apply as an International Student

It is best to apply early, even one full year before you plan to begin your studies.


*Students whose first language is not English will need to provide one of the following:

  1. TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test)
  2. IELTS score of 6.5 
professor in class

Incoming international students (first-year and transfer) with high school or college transcripts outside the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated by a credential evaluation service that is NACES approved

International Transfer Students

*For transfer evaluations, please select the course-by-course option. 

As per the NAIA, transfer student-athletes who attend a university/college outside of the U.S. are required to have any/all international college/university transcripts evaluated by InCred (

Send Your Transcript to IWU

Your school will need to send an official transcript (in English) to the IWU Admissions Office. 

Have Your Transcript Evaluated

Students who are graduating high school and attended a high school outside of the U.S. must also have their high school transcript evaluated by InCred, or an NACES approved credential evaluation service.

Although general admission and merit scholarships no longer incorporate standardized test scores, some specific programs or opportunities at Indiana Wesleyan University may require standardized test scores. For example:

  • Students who fall below regular academic requirements for admission may be asked by the Foundations Review Committee to provide indicators of academic ability, including ACT/SAT scores.
  • Some academic departments may require ACT/SAT scores for admission into programs.
  • Students applying to the John Wesley Scholars or Luther Lee Scholars Program may elect to submit the ACT/SAT test to meet the established applicant criteria.
  • ACT/SAT scores may be submitted to guide course placement decisions. For example, ACT/SAT scores may, at times, result in a student testing out of certain required courses.

Contact the International Student Advisor at with any questions you may have.

English Language Programs

IWU offers three different English language programs for international high school and college students.

Cultural Immersion Program (1-4 weeks)
  • ESL classes, cultural orientation seminars, and team competitions
  • Learn about American culture from Cultural Mentors and Professors
  • Visit American homes, schools, businesses, museums, concerts, and professional sporting events
  • Travel to major cities
  • Serve as Cultural Ambassador at The Indianapolis Children's Museum (the largest children's museum in the world)
Semester at IWU Program (4 months)
  • ESL classes, cultural orientation seminars and college courses for academic credit
  • Learn about American culture from Cultural Mentors and Professors
  • SAT preparation and TOEFL preparation
  • Visit American homes, schools, businesses, museums, concerts, colleges and professional sporting events
  • Travel to major cities including: Indianapolis, Chicago and Washington, D.C.
Bridge Program (4-8 months)
  • ESL classes, cultural orientation seminars, and college courses for academic credit
  • SAT preparation and TOEFL preparation
  • Learn about American culture from Cultural Mentors and Professors
  • Visit American homes, schools, businesses, museums, concerts and professional sporting events
  • American College Tour
  • Travel to major cities including: Indianapolis, Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C.

Bridge Program Info

FAQs for International Students

Here are some of the common questions we receive from International Students studying on our Marion, Indiana campus

International students will receive a minimum of $10,000 from IWU in the form of gift aid.

Students are eligible to receive additional academic scholarships exceeding the $10,000 based on meeting specific scholarship criteria. These scholarships range from $11,000 to $16,000 per year. There may be other sources of financial based on each student along with scholarship and grant criteria.

As part of the application process, you are required to demonstrate your ability to pay for tuition, books, health insurance, room and board. This amounts to approximately $43,000 for two semesters.

Additionally, you will need to pay for personal expenses.

IWU does not have a program of full scholarship for international students, so you must be prepared to pay for most of your education. Some financial aid does exist for those who qualify.

Yes. All international students are eligible to apply for on-campus jobs. All campus jobs allow students to work up to 20 hours each week.

U.S. Immigration prohibits non-U.S. citizens from working outside the University.


Indiana Wesleyan University has partnered with Fly Wire to streamline the international tuition payment process.

Through Fly Wire, you will be offered excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing payment in your native currency (in most cases), often saving a significant amount of money when compared to traditional banking systems.

Additionally, Fly Wire provides a student dashboard where payment logs and preferences for communication can be accessed in order to actively manage your payment process.

After Being Accepted to IWU

Once you have received your acceptance letter from Indiana Wesleyan University:

  1. Send the tuition and room and board fees in U.S. funds for the first semester
  2. You will also need to send proof of financial sponsorship and medical insurance
  3. Your financial sponsors should complete the Financial Resources Form and return it to the Admissions Office, along with supporting documents from their bank

When IWU has received these items, we will send you the Immigration I-20 form.

After Submitted Your Documents to IWU

Take all of your original academic documents, your financial statements, your letter of acceptance, and your I-20 form to an American Embassy or Consulate. The visa officer will evaluate your records, your ability to succeed in the U.S. educational system, and your intention to return to your home country.

Yes. Since Indiana Wesleyan University has no way of covering unexpected medical expenses, every international student is required to have medical insurance valid within the U.S. Coverage should include medical evacuation and repatriation.

If you have medical insurance in your home country that is valid in the U.S., you must provide documentation to IWU. If you do not already have insurance valid in the U.S., you will need to purchase insurance. Be prepared to spend $1,000-$1,200 USD per year for insurance, if needed. 

You can buy medical insurance upon arrival to campus. Our International Student Advisor can provide information about various medical insurance companies.

These are a few common options for you to consider that have been used by International students:

We have four seasons, which means that you will need to be prepared for hot and humid weather in the summer and cold and icy weather in the winter.

The average temperature in September and May is about 20°C/70°F, and in January is about -5°C/20°F.

Yes. Your campus mailing address will be assigned when you arrive for classes.

You can send and receive mail from the on-campus Post Office, located in the Barnes Student Center.

Students are required to live in a residence hall located on campus. All rooms are shared, usually by two people.

Rooms are furnished; each person has a single bed, a dresser, a study desk and closet space.

Students must supply their own linens, blankets, pillows and towels. If you are bringing sheets/bed linens, they should be at least 80 inches/203.2 centimeters in length.

Each room has easy access to showers, laundry and kitchen facilities.

Meals are served three times each day in the Baldwin Dining Room, located in Barnes Student Center.

Additionally, snacks and fountain service is available in the Barnes Student Center.