- Life coaching is NOT clinical counseling.
- Life coaching is NOT consulting or advising.
Life Coaching is...
- Oriented toward health, wholeness, and potential
- A journey toward fullness and calling
- Focused on the future and how to pursue passions and dreams
- Usually couched in established personal goals and measurable progress toward objectives
- Focused on present and future performance and effectiveness across a broad range of life issues
- Often oriented towards promoting good decision-making and gathering of tools that will continue to serve the client in their future endeavors and life objectives
- Supportive and facilitative in nature
- Oriented toward healing & brokenness
- Restores and maintains stability and functionality
- Focused on insight regarding the past and how to relieve pain
- Usually includes a DSM diagnosis and treatment plan
- Counselor is generally seen as an expert that can provide intervention, insight, and advice that could not be gained without the counselor's help
- Focused on present and future success in a specific area of focus (i.e. mastery of a skill, educational/financial planning, etc.)
- Often oriented toward providing specific steps of action for the client to perform with a confidence that if those steps are followed a definite outcome will result
- Methodology is directive and authoritative in nature
- Professional is generally an expert in a narrow field offering advice for achieving a specific need