Q: How are room assignments made?
After you have submitted your $200 tuition deposit and if you plan to live on campus (see the Residence Life Policies in the IWU Student Handbook), you will receive instructions about completing an online housing application. Room assignments are based on the date on which you submit your tuition deposit. The Residence Life office makes every attempt to honor all special requests for roommate and residence facilities, but we are unable to honor all requests. In general, the earlier you submit your tuition deposit, the better the chance of your requests being met.
Q: Can I live off campus?
All students must live in university-supervised housing unless they are at least 23 years of age, married, or living with parents or guardians. Our housing policy is firmly founded on our experience that a crucial developmental element in students' education is being a part of the blessings and challenges of an intentional and designed campus community. The maturity and growth that occur in residence life during these important years are critical to the overall mission of the University in providing for the future success of our graduates. At Indiana Wesleyan University, we take this developmental responsibility very seriously.
Q: What should I bring with me?
Here are some things you will want to bring with you: bed linens (extra-long twin), hangers, pillows, desk supplies, towels, alarm clock, toiletries, fan, and laundry supplies.
Q: When can I have guests?
You can have guests of the same sex whenever you want, however each residence hall and apartment sets aside several nights a week for open house hours. During open house hours, members of the opposite gender can visit students' rooms.
Q: What kind of facilities will my residence hall offer?
Each residence hall has a variety of facilities for the use of the residents. They include: Computer lab, Study room, Hall chapel, Large public lounge, Ironing boards, Conference rooms, Kitchenette and/or microwave, TV lounge, Free Laundry, Exercise/wellness room, and Outside bicycle racks. No common storage is available in any of our residence halls.
Q: What kind of furniture will be in my room?
Each residence hall room and apartment is furnished and carpeted. IWU has suite-style residence halls that share a common bathroom. The furniture provided in each room includes: 2 bunkable beds (36" x 80")Telephone on request, 2 mattress pads, Desks with bookshelf and light, 1 dresser (4 or 5 drawers shared), Closet with organizer and shelf and Antique-white mini-blinds. Indiana Wesleyan University does not allow students to construct loft units in their rooms. However, students may rent a loft from the University on the housing homepage. There are limited quantities available, so reserve one early.
Q: Where do I eat?
The resident dining room is located in the Barnes Student Center. All resident students have a meal plan which is accessed by their student ID. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday through Friday; brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. Commuters may also dine in the resident dining room by paying at the door or by using a commuter meal plan through Pioneer Dining Services. The Wildcat Express, which is also located in the Barnes Student Center, is our mini food court and features the 42nd St. Deli, Firehouse Grill, Casa del Gato, Wild Wok, Mario's Pizza and Grinders, Chick-fil-A, lots of snack items, beverages, and fresh-baked cookies and pastries. Residents may use their meal card or purchase items; commuters may purchase items or use a commuter meal plan.
Q: What is there to do?
Each hall's Residence Director and staff are very active in planning innovative and creative activities that let you have fun while you develop interpersonally and establish lifelong friendships. The kick-off event for all the residence halls is Residence Life Week. This is a week of fun games and enjoyable activities for all resident students, so plan to stay on campus! In addition, the Student Activities Council (SAC) plans and coordinates campus-wide activities such as SAC Weekend, Homecoming, Family Weekend, Ski Trips, and Spotted Cow Weekend. Intramural sports and student organizations are other ways to enhance your college experience, so plan to get involved!
Q: Who can help me?
The Resident Assistant (RA) is a specially trained student who is available to help you get acquainted with the university and to assist you with your life on campus. The RA lives in the housing unit with the residents and serves as a friend and leader for the residents. The RA plans monthly events for the residents in his/her unit and helps coordinate activities such as unit devotions and community outreaches. (Each unit consists of approximately 20 people.) The Community Coordinator (CC), desk workers, and Resident Director of your hall are also available to make your college experience the best it can be!
Q: What about my spiritual growth?
Alongside weekly chapel experiences and other student-led services like The Well and Breathe, each residence facility has a Resident Hall Chaplain (RHC) who, along with the Residence Hall team, develop opportunities for spiritual growth and ministry outreach within your residence hall.