Q: What is the difference between the 36- and 48-hour degrees and the 60-hour degrees?

A: The 60 and 48-hour degrees are licensure tracks; the 36-hour degrees are master's degree programs, but graduates are not license-eligible. Due to the variety of licensure laws that exist throughout the United States, students are encouraged to research what the requirements are in the state where they would like to practice.

Q: What specializations are available in the Graduate Counseling program?

A: Students can get a major of arts in one of six program areas: Clinical Addictions Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Community Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, School Counseling, and Student Development Administration. Program areas vary in the number of credit hours required to graduate, license eligibility, and whether they are taught in the classroom, online, or through a combination of classroom and online formats. Feel free to contact us for additional information about a specific specialization.

Q: How long will it take to complete the M.A. in Counseling?

A: Those students who choose to attend classes full time (9 - 12 credit hours per semester) usually complete the program in 2 1/2 - 3 years. Students attending part time (six credit hours per semester) can complete the program in 3 1/2 - 5 years. The length of the program depends upon the student and how many credit hours he or she takes per semester. Students must complete their program of study within six (6) years of matriculation.

Q: Do I have to start classes in the fall?

A: Students are able to start classes in the fall or spring semester. Starting classes in the spring may increase the time necessary to graduate because of sequence of classes.

Q: What are the admission deadlines?

A: The deadline for definite consideration is March 1st for fall semester and October 1st for spring semester. if you Have questions about deadlinse feel free to contact us.

Q: Can I transfer previous graduate work?

A: Students are able to transfer in up to nine (9) credits of applicable graduate work. The classes that are accepted for transfer are left to the discretion of the department.

Q: Where can I complete my internship?

A: Internships can be completed at the qualifying location of your choice. Students are encouraged to secure their own internship sites in the area of their interest.

Q: How will I know what classes I need to take and the order in which they should be taken?

A: Students are each assigned a faculty adviser who will aid them in the development of a Plan of Study.

Q: Where can the program be completed?

A: The program is offered at the IWU campus in Marion, the IWU Education Center (West) in Indianapolis, or online.

Q: Is the GRE given at any of the IWU sites?

A: No, but students can call 800-GRE-CALL or visit www.gre.org to find an exam site nearby.

Q: What is the NCE?

A: The NCE is the National Counselor Examination. By passing the NCE, one is eligible to become a National Certified Counselor. The NCE is the examination that some states use as a requirement for licensure. IWU participates in the NCE application program for graduate students. Through this program, you may take the NCE within six months of graduation.

Q: Will I be a licensed counselor when I graduate?

A: No. In the state of Indiana, you must pass a licensure exam and complete additional post-graduate hours of clinical experience. Licensure requirements vary depending on the area of licensure and the state in which one pursues licensure. Please contact your state licensing agency to determine specific licensure requirements.


Q: Is the program accredited?

A: The Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, and School Counseling specializations are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), 1001 N. Fairfax St., Suite 510, Alexandria, VA 22314, 703-535-5990, an accrediting arm of the American Counseling Association (ACA), 5999 Stevenson Ave., Alexandria, VA 22304, 800-347-6647. Through the Addictions Counseling specialization, Indiana Wesleyan University is an Approved Education Provider of NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, 1001 N. Fairfax St., Suite 201, Alexandria, VA 22314, 800-548-0497, and the Indiana Association for Addiction Professionals (IAAP), 1829 Cunningham Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46224, 317-481-9255. The School Counseling specialization is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), 2010 Massachusetts Ave. N.W., Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036, 202-466-7496.

Q: Are there any scholarships available?

A: Scholarships are available to full-time students entering the M.A. in Counseling program. Scholarships are based on academics, servitude, and leadership capabilities. Students must be fully accepted into the program before a scholarship can be awarded. March 1st is the deadline for all scholarship applications.

Learn More

To learn more about this or other great progarms, request information today!

Request Information

Last updated: 02/03/2017