Applicants to any program within the School of Educational Leadership will be required to sign a disclosure of information waiver giving any prior institutions the applicant may have attended permission to supply IWU representatives all information relevant to the applicant's fitness for teacher training or licensure recommendation, including but not limited to his/her conduct, standing, or reputation while attending said institutions. Any information obtained may be considered by IWU in its decision whether or not to admit an applicant, to permit his or her continuance in a program, or to recommend him/her for licensure.
The admission requirements for the M.Ed. in Reading are as follows:
- A baccalaureate or graduate degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting body or the Association for Biblical Higher Education verified on original transcripts sent by the institution directly to Indiana Wesleyan University.
- An undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher from the baccalaureate degree granting institution at which at least a minimum of 30 hours was completed.
- Public school candidates need:
- A valid (but not necessarily current) state teacher's license.
- At least one year (i.e., a minimum of one semester and one day) of teaching experience from an approved and accredited P-12 public, private, or parochial school in the United States or abroad.
- Supporting documentation demonstrating access to a P-12 classroom.
Clinical Experience Requirements
The M.Ed. in Reading requires 100 clock hours of total clinical experience, split equally between elementary and secondary developmental levels. All clinical experience requirements are embedded in specific courses must be passed successfully to complete the program.
To graduate from the M.Ed. program, candidates must have completed the following:
- Successful completion of the M.Ed. 33 semester hour core curriculum.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in all graduate work and a minimum grade of "B-" in each course.
- Successfully pass all Key Assessments with a score of a "3" or "4" for all rubric criteria.
- Successfully pass all Professional Dispositions with a score of a "3" or "4" for all rubric criteria.
- Successfully pass all Clinical Experience requirements associated with their program.