Students' Rights and Responsibilities

As a student, you have the right to know:

  • What financial assistance is available, including information on all federal and state programs.
  • The deadlines for submitting applications for each of the student financial aid programs available.
  • The cost of attending the school's programs and the school's refund policy.
  • The criteria used by the institution to select financial aid recipients.
  • How the school determines your financial need. This process includes how costs for tuition, fees, books, and living expenses are considered in your budget.
  • What resources (such as employer reimbursement, other financial aid, etc.) are considered in the calculation of your need.
  • How much of your financial need, as determined by the institution, has been met.
  • An explanation of the various programs in your student financial aid package. If you believe you have been treated unfairly, you may request reconsideration of the award that was made to you.
  • What portion of the financial aid you received must be repaid, and what portion is grant aid. If the aid is a loan, you have the right to know the loan interest rate, the total amount that must be repaid, the payback procedures, the length of time you have to repay the loan, and when the repayment is to begin.

As a student, you are responsible to:

  • Review and consider all information about the school's program before you enroll.
  • Complete all required forms accurately and submit them in a timely manner and to send them to the correct address.
  • Pay special attention to, and accurately complete, your FAFSA. Errors can result in delay of receipt of your student financial aid. Intentional misreporting of information on application forms for federal student financial aid is a violation of law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code.
  • Return all additional information, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by either the Financial Aid Office or the FAFSA central processor.
  • Read and understand all the forms that you are asked to sign and keep copies of them.
  • Accept responsibility for all agreements you sign.
  • If you have a loan, notify the lender of changes in your name, address, or school status.
  • Know and comply with the deadline for application or reapplication for aid.
  • Know and comply with the school's leave of absence or withdrawal policy/procedures.
  • Repay student loans in agreement with the loan promissory note.

Here is a copy of our Student Loan Code of Conduct.


Financial aid recipients are required to attend the necessary class sessions as per the Academic Attendance and Tardy Policy. Please see the University Catalog for more information.

Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how we must determine the amount of federal Title IV student aid program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The federal Title IV student aid programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, TEACH Grants, Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans.

Though your aid is usually posted to your account early in each payment period, you earn the funds as you complete class time. If you withdraw during your payment period or term, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. The withdraw date used in the formula is the last date of attendance for courses for which attendance taking is required.  For courses for which attendance is not required, the date of official notification of intent to withdraw or, if later, the last date of academically related activity as determined by IWU is used as your withdrawal date.  If you withdraw without officially notifying IWU, the last date of academically related activity will be used if it can be determined.  If such a date cannot be established, the midpoint date of the payment period will be used in the calculation.

If you received (or your school or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by IWU and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or term, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or term, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement.  If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, we must get your permission before we can disburse it to you. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. We encourage this.  We may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and room and board charges (as applicable). We need your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other school charges. If you do not give your permission, you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow us to keep the funds to reduce your debt at IWU.

There are some Title IV funds that you may have been scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, we are prohibited from disbursing a second or subsequent disbursement of direct loan funds unless you have graduated or completed the loan period.

If you receive (or your school or parent receive on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, we must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds.

We must return this amount even if part of it was issued to you as a credit balance.  This may result in you owing IWU even if your account was paid in full before you withdrew.  If we are not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a Direct PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with IWU or the U.S. Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that IWU has. Therefore, you may still owe funds to IWU to cover unpaid institutional charges.  We may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that we are required to return. You can read the IWU refund policy in the IWU academic catalog. We also describe the process for officially withdrawing from school in the catalog.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at

Campus Crime Statistics

The Higher Education Amendments of 1992 require a school to compile an annual report of campus crime statistics. This report is available upon request from Indiana Wesleyan University's Student Development Office at 800-332-6901.

Drug Abuse Prevention

Title IV Financial Aid Regulations require that Indiana Wesleyan University offer a Drug Abuse Prevention Program to its employees and students as a part of the eligibility criteria for financial aid.

Drug abuse in the United States has become a major problem, and students at Indiana Wesleyan University are not immune. If you need assistance with a drug abuse problem, we encourage you to seek help at your local community drug abuse prevention center. To talk to someone in a strictly confidential atmosphere, feel free to contact the Center for Student Success at our Marion campus. All conversations are private and will not affect your attendance at the University.

If you would like to talk to someone outside Indiana Wesleyan University, you can call one of the following numbers, or a hospital or treatment center in your area:

The National Cocaine Hotline
800-COCAINE (800-262-2463)

National Institute on Drug Abuse
56000 Fishers Lane, Room 10A-30
Rockville, MD 20857
800-662-HELP (800-662-4357)

Contact Info

Indiana Wesleyan University

Financial Aid Office
1900 W. 50th St.
Marion, IN 46953
800-621-8667, ext. 2516
Fax: 765-677-2030

Financial Aid Estimator

FAFSA Code: 001822

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Last updated: 08/23/2016