Adult Teacher Licensure Programs Department
The Adult Teacher Licensure Programs Department offers the Transition to Teaching (TTT) initial licensure program.
Applicants to any program within the School of Educational Leadership will be required to sign a disclosure of information waiver giving any prior institutions the applicant may have attended permission to supply IWU representatives all information relevant to the applicant's fitness for teacher training or licensure recommendation, including but not limited to his/her conduct, standing, or reputation while attending said institutions. Any information obtained may be considered by IWU in its decision whether or not to admit an applicant, to permit his or her continuance in a program, or to recommend him/her for licensure.
All applicants must have:
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university or college with a grade point average of at least 3.00; or
- Both a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university or college with a grade point average of at least 2.50 and five years of professional experience (i.e., professional experience related to the content area in which the applicant seeks licensure); or
- A graduate degree (does not apply to TTT Elementary Education applicants).
- Passing Praxis I or CASA scores or Approved Alternative Praxis I scores (as established by the Indiana Department of Education) for reading, writing, and math. Alternative Praxis I scores options include:
- Total Praxis I composite score of at least 527
- ACT with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math
- GRE with a score of at least 1100 based on Verbal and Quantitative
- Anyone with a Master's Degree from a regionally accredited institution is exempt
- Passing Praxis II or CORE scores (as established by the Indiana Department of Education) for the content area in which the applicant seeks licensure.
- A state approved criminal history.
- Minimum scores of "3" or higher on a required Candidate Disposition Admission Survey (based on a four point scale).
The Transition to Teaching program can recommend candidates for licensure in the following areas:
- Elementary Generalist K-6
- Grades 5-12 - Life Science, Chemistry, Economics, Government and Citizenship, Psychology, Historical Perspectives, Sociology, Language Arts, mathematics, Health Education, and Spanish.
- Grades P-12 - Physical Education, Vocal and General Music, Instrumental and General Music, and Visual Arts. (Those seeking P-12 licensure in these areas should enroll as a TTT secondary teaching candidate).
To be eligible to be recommended for licensure a candidate must:
- Complete all course requirements with a minimum GPA of 3.00 and no grade lower than a "B-."
- Pass all clinical experiences with a grade of "Credit."
- Provide passing scores for all required Praxis I and II exams.
- Provide a state approved criminal history.
- Applicants seeking licensure in Spanish will successfully demonstrate competence in oral Spanish communication skills via recorded process that is assessed by IWU approved Spanish speakers using a scoring rubric.