One of the best ways to discover a degree program is to check out the course listings. By simply clicking on the course titles below, you can get a preview of the classes you will attend as a student at Indiana Wesleyan University.
Preview your classes
(All 4 Techniques courses)
General Emphasis Applied Music majors must add the following:
- Four semesters of Secondary Applied (4 Hours)
- Large ensemble in Secondary area (2 Hours)
- MUS-280 Choral Techniques(2 Hours)
- Instrumental Techniques (2 Hours)
PIANO PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT
The Indiana Wesleyan University Division of Music requires every student majoring in Music and Music Education to fulfill a piano proficiency requirement. This requirement is established according to the guidelines provided by the National Association of Schools of Music, which gives accreditation to college music programs in the United States. Students whose emphasis is not piano should enroll in Class Piano and those whose primary instrument is piano should enroll in Keyboard Skills.
|CLASS PIANO LEVELS ||Level I ||Level II ||Level III ||Level IV |
|Music Ed. / Choral ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Music Ed. / General ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Music Ed. / Instrumental ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes || |
|Applied / Vocal ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Applied / Instrumental ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes || |
|Church Music ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Theory / Composition ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes || |
|All music minors ||Yes ||Yes || || |
Students with prior piano experience may demonstrate their ability to enter at a higher level through audition. Check the Class Piano Levels table to determine your appropriate entry level. For this option, you must consult a member of the Piano faculty.
- Exit juries are required at the final level of class piano study (see table above).
- These exit juries will be administered during finals week.
- 60% of the grade will be based on class work; 40% will be based on the final exam or exit jury for final level.
- If a student earns a grade lower than C (C- or below) for any level, he or she is required to re-enroll in the same class level until a C or above is earned.
|KEYBOARD SKILLS ||Level I ||Level II |
|B. Mus, Applied / Piano ||Yes ||Yes |
|Music Ed. / Piano ||Yes ||Yes |
|Church Music / Piano ||Yes || |
|B.Mus, Composition / Piano ||Yes || |
|Music Minors / Piano ||Yes || |