Applying to the Kern Ministry Program
Students who are interested in joining the Kern Ministry Program must complete an application process that is separate from applying to Indiana Wesleyan University. The Kern Program invites applications from: high school seniors, undergraduate transfer students, and current IWU undergraduates.
Ten students will be selected as Kern Scholars from each new Kern cohort. Those students will receive a yearly scholarship in the spring which will go towards their summer courses as long as they maintain the Kern Scholar standards.
Prospective Kern Ministry Education students must also apply to Indiana Wesleyan University and will not be accepted into the Kern Program until they have been accepted by IWU.
Application and Interview Information
The application and interview process for the Kern Ministry Scholars is described below.
High school senior with at least one of the following:
- Combined SAT score of 1250 or higher (Math/Critical Reading)
- Combined SAT score of 1875 or higher (Math/Critical Reading/Writing)
- Composite ACT score of 28 or higher
- Rank in the top 12 percent of graduating class
- GPA of 3.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
College freshman or sophomore with:
- At least 15 hours of coursework at an accredited college or university
- GPA of 3.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) in college-level work
NOTE: College students with less than 15 hours of college credit may apply using the high school senior eligibility criteria.
Applying to the Kern Ministry Program is a three-step process.
- First, students complete the application, using the print forms. Students are encouraged to pay special attention to their writing, which will be carefully considered by the admissions committee.
- Second, two recommendations are required. Recommenders may use either the online form or print form.
- One recommendation must be from someone who knows your academic abilities well; high school applicants should select a high school teacher, and those with at least 15 hours of college credit should choose a collegiate instructor.
- The second recommendation must be from a pastor or spiritual mentor who can attest to your aptitude and spiritual gifting towards pastoral ministry.
- Note: Completed print forms may be mailed to Kern Ministry Program, Indiana Wesleyan University, 4201 S. Washington St., Marion, IN 46953, sent by fax to 765-677-2766, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Third, a select number of applicants will be invited to interview for admission to the Kern Ministry Program. Admission interviews for students seeking to enter the Kern Program in the fall of 2013 will be held on the dates given below.
Interview Dates and Corresponding Application Deadlines
Incoming Student Interviews
Interview Dates - Most interviews will be held between September 8-19, 2014. Some interviews may happen before or after those dates on a case-by-case basis.
The first round of applications are due August 1.
Students applying after August1 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Current IWU Student Interviews
Week of September 1-5, 2014
Applications are due August 1.
Students may continue to apply will be offered interviews on a case-by-case basis.
Petitioning to Apply
Prospective students who do not meet the admission criteria may petition to apply to the Kern Ministry Program. Such students should submit a letter (via e-mail to email@example.com or postal mail to Kern Ministry Program, Indiana Wesleyan University, 4201 S. Washington St., Marion, IN 46953) communicating why their vocational objectives, academic preparation, and intellectual character make them strong candidates for admission into the Kern Program. If a student's petition is approved by the Kern committee, then he or she will be invited to apply to the Kern Ministry Program.
Questions about the application or interview process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-677-2248.