MAXIMIZE YOUR OPPORTUNITIES
Although an education is a worthwhile investment, you should take advantage of every opportunity to earn as many scholarships as possible and receive any grant aid for which you are eligible. Here are a few tips to help you maximize your financial aid:
- Make certain to file your FAFSA on or before March 10th
- You will need to do this every year
- Successfully searching for scholarships takes considerable time and effort. To maximize your time:
- Check out our link (http://www.indwes.edu/Financial-Aid/Undergraduate/Outside-Scholarships/) to Outside Scholarships
- Dedicate time on a daily or weekly basis to completing applications and writing necessary essays - take your time - well done work is most likely to get noticed.
- Be thorough in compiling the details of your academic merits, extra-curricular activities, and community service.
- Apply for as many scholarships as possible. You will likely hear "no", but the more applications you complete the more chances you will have to receive a scholarship.
- Talk to your high school guidance counselor to see if there are local scholarships for which you should apply, or contact your local community center about opportunities.
- Work diligently on your grades - the higher your GPA and SAT/ACT test scores, the more eligible you will be for grants/scholarships from IWU and from other sources.
- Talk to your church to see if they can support you with a Church Matching Scholarship (IWU will match gifts from your church up to $900 per year).
- If you (or your parents) have money set aside for your college expenses, consider investing it in a 529 Savings Plan (savingforcollege.com).