Following nearly two decades of enrollment growth on the Marion campus, in 2003 IWU consulted with Van Yahres Associates in Charlottesville, Virginia, to develop a Master Plan in order to ensure that our facilities would continue to meet the growing needs of students, alumni, employees and guests of the University. Other members of the planning team included Design Collaborative, an architectural firm, and Comprehensive Facilities Planning, Inc., space planners. To ensure that appropriate facilities were in place for each potential stage of our growth, the University tasked the planning team with three incremental growth scenarios: 3,200, 4,200 and 6,200 enrollment.
The team applied integrated planning principles in a multidisciplinary data collection and planning process to ensure that all of the community's needs would be met while supporting the University's world-changing mission and Christ-centered core values. The resulting plan incorporates the following key elements:
- Academic planning and enrollment forecasting.
- Space inventory and utilization planning.
- Residence hall occupancy modeling.
- Library space needs assessment.
- Utility infrastructure planning.
- Campus organization and circulation.
- Land acquisition and use.
- Parking needs.
Among the many recommendations of this plan were the following highlights:
- Construction of the "East Village" residence hall development east of PPAC (completed summer 2010).
- Increased parking to 3,600 spaces (completed summer 2009).
- Construction of a new academic building on the north academic quad (Elder Hall completed August 2007).
- Renovation of Christian Ministries Building (completed fall 2008).
- Enlargement of the Student Center and dining services (completed August 2006).
- New field house (completed summer 2006).
- Construction of a Chapel south of the Student Center (completed January 2010).
- Realignment of University Boulevard (currently in planning).
- Increase capacity of water and storm sewer services (in progress).
- Construction of a new academic building (in progress).
- Construction of a new seminary building (in progress).
Master planning continues at IWU to ensure that you will always benefit from facilities that meet your ever-changing needs.