Graduate Certificate in Addictions Counseling
Indiana Wesleyan University offers the 15-credit-hour Graduate Certificate in Addictions Counseling online to persons seeking specialized academic preparation in this area. Applicants must have already obtained a Master of Arts degree in a counseling-related program in which the degree program and/or post-graduate clinical experiences did not meet specific state licensure or national certification requirements for a substance abuse or addictions counseling-related credential. The program is also available to students presently enrolled in non-IWU graduate counseling programs that do not offer sufficient coursework in addictions counseling. Students who desire specialized academic preparation in certain areas but do not wish to obtain the certificate may apply to enroll in one or more classes.
Through its undergraduate and graduate Addictions Counseling programs, Indiana Wesleyan University is an Approved Education Provider of NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals.
Coursework for the accelerated Graduate Certificate in Addictions Counseling may be taken online, or onsite at our Marion or Indianapolis (West) sites.
- A Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting body or by the Association for Biblical Higher Education, verified on official transcripts sent by the institution directly to Indiana Wesleyan University.
- An undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher from the baccalaureate degree-granting institution at which a minimum of 30 credit hours was completed.
- If graduate work has been taken, official transcripts must be submitted reflecting a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- A letter clearly stating reason(s) for seeking admission into the Addictions Counseling program.
- In those cases where the applicant is seeking to fulfill requirements for any licensure/certification, identification of specific course requirements for inclusion in his/her program of study for any license/certification process is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Three recommendations from professors or supervisors.
Degree Completion Requirements
- Successful completion of all coursework identified in program of study.
- All course grades at or above level of "C+".
- Overall cumulative GPA must be at least 3.0.
- Payment of all tuition and fees.
If it is determined by a licensure or certification board that only clinical hours (practicum and/or internship) are needed, the student must demonstrate evidence of entry-level proficiency in the delivery of counseling services. This is typically accomplished by presenting a recorded sample of the applicant's direct service to a client and a reference from a qualified (master's level with at least two years of experience) supervisor. This tape and reference will be reviewed by the Graduate Counseling faculty and be considered in the acceptance process.
NOTE: State regulations may prohibit licensure for individuals who have ever been convicted of a crime of violence or of any crime that has a direct bearing on the ability to practice competently. The applicant is responsible to check the licensing requirements with his or her state licensing agency prior to beginning the program.
Ready to make your educational and professional goals a reality? Apply now!
Indiana Wesleyan University focuses on providing the right atmosphere for adult education. If you are
seeking a graduate
certificate in counseling, we offer a program online and from our Marion, Indiana, campus and our Indianapolis West campus. If you are interested in learning more
about our Christian university,
for more information about this adult education program.