About the Program: Online Certificate in Parish Nursing
Parish nursing is a relatively new practice wherein nurses offer their skills and gifts in a congregational setting or church. Church nursing professionals bring a plethora of knowledge, expectations and experience to the healing ministry of faith communities. As a Christian university, Indiana Wesleyan University has the experience and values to help you find your place as a parish nurse (also known as a faith community nurse) in this growing field.
As many people face the loss of healthcare insurance or challenges in finding affordable options for healthcare, there is a perfect ministry opportunity for the local church. Those with faith community nursing certification will be prepared to lead a local, church-based healthcare ministry that creates exciting avenues for the congregation to demonstrate God's compassion to needy people and share the love of Jesus Christ with those who may have no church affiliation and no meaningful connection to God's life-changing love and power.
Those who complete the IWU Parish Nursing program will:
- Demonstrate competency to provide congregational assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care from a holistic model in the faith community
- Develop parish nurse roles for faith connections, wellness promotion and illness prevention in a variety of settings, including veteran needs/veteran hospitals
- Analyze the organization, administration and governance of faith and health systems
- Coordinate the integration of faith, theology and holistic health across the life span for congregants and community
- Demonstrate competency in planning and implementing teaching-learning experiences that meet the needs of the community and those from diverse backgrounds
- Identify legal and ethical issues within the faith community as they relate to the role of the parish nurse
IWU’s Parish Nursing
program provides an online faith community nurse
certification and the path to a stable, rewarding,
Classes for the faith community nursing certification program are offered online. For more information, please call 866-498-4968.
The Parish Nursing Certificate is available to students in the baccalaureate program and to those who are registered as unclassified students. The courses are offered online and, if seeking to complete the certificate, must be taken through IWU.
- High school graduation or GED certification
- An Associate degree in Nursing or higher Nursing degree
- Official transcripts showing completion of highest Nursing college degree earned
- The equivalent of at least two years of full-time work experience as an RN
- Proof of current unencumbered RN licensure (USA)
- A copy of your TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores if English is not your primary language
Please see the minimum Computer Requirements for students who take courses for the Parish Nursing Certificate.
- Completion of the specified 15 credit hours with a grade of "C" or better in each course. All courses must be completed through Indiana Wesleyan University
- The certificate area will be noted on the student's transcript, and the student will receive an actual certificate upon successful completion of the certificate requirements
- The Parish Nursing Certificate is available to students in the baccalaureate program and to those who are registered as unclassified students if they meet the admission criteria for the certificate
Full course descriptions may be viewed by clicking on the courses below.
NUR-312, CNS-310, CNS-312, REL-355, REL-455
in IWU’s other certificate, Bachelor’s,
adult education or degree
offered online and across Indiana,
Ohio and Kentucky? Contact IWU today for