Parish Nursing Certificate
About the Program
Parish Nursing is a relatively new practice wherein nurses offer their skills and gifts in a congregational setting. Nurses bring a plethora of knowledge, expectations, and experience to the healing ministry of faith communities.
As many people face the loss of health care insurance or challenges in finding affordable options for health care, there is a perfect ministry opportunity for the local church. Those trained in Parish Nursing will be prepared to lead a local, church-based health care ministry that creates exciting avenues for the congregation to demonstrate God's compassion to needy people and share the love of Jesus Christ with those who may have no church affiliation and no meaningful connection to God's life-changing love and power.
Those who complete the IWU Parish Nursing Certificate will:
- Demonstrate competency to provide congregational assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care from a holistic model in the faith community.
- Develop parish nurse roles for faith connections, wellness promotion, and illness prevention in a variety of settings.
- Analyze the organization, administration, and governance of faith and health systems.
- Coordinate the integration of faith, theology, and holistic health across the life span for congregants and community.
- Demonstrate competency in planning and implementing teaching-learning experiences that meet the needs of the community and those from diverse backgrounds.
- Identify legal and ethical issues within the faith community as they relate to the role of the parish nurse.
Classes for the Parish Nursing Certificate are offered online. For more information, please call 866-IWU-4-YOU.
The Parish Nursing Certificate is available to students in the baccalaureate program and to those who are registered as unclassified students. The courses are offered online and, if seeking to complete the certificate, must be taken through IWU.
- High school graduation or GED certification.
- An associate degree/diploma in Nursing or higher Nursing degree.
- Official transcripts showing completion of highest Nursing college degree earned.
- The equivalent of at least two years of full-time work experience as an RN.
- Proof of current unencumbered RN licensure (USA).
- A copy of your TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores if English is not your primary language.
Please see the minimum Computer Requirementsfor students who take courses for the Parish Nursing Certificate.
- Completion of the specified 15 credit hours with a grade of "C" or better in each course. All courses must be completed through Indiana Wesleyan University.
- The certificate area will be noted on the student's transcript, and the student will receive an actual certificate upon successful completion of the certificate requirements.
- The Parish Nursing Certificate is available to students in the baccalaureate program and to those who are registered as unclassified students if they meet the admission criteria for the certificate.
Full course descriptions may be viewed by clicking on the course titles below.