Transfer Students

Transferring to Indiana Wesleyan University

We're glad you are considering transferring to Indiana Wesleyan University. You are joining scores of students who transfer each fall and spring from community colleges, four-year public and private institutions, and other Christian colleges.


How does IWU define a Transfer Student?
  • A student having accrued at least 12 college credit hours post high school graduation and being at least a semester removed from high school.

Students who do not meet these requirements can still transfer credit to IWU, but are considered first-time freshmen. Students with 12-28 credit hours are considered freshman transfer students. To see what credits can transfer to IWU, check out our Transfer Guide.

Applying as a Transfer

Fill out the online application and Community Values Contract and have the completed Recommendation Form sent to us. Next, have transcripts from each college you have attended sent to the Admissions Office along with the Transfer Information Form.

Will My Credits Transfer?

Yes, if the following is true (and it usually is):
  • Credits were earned at an institution accredited by a regional accreditation body.
  • Credits are considered college level (usually this means 100 level or above).
  • Course was passed with a grade of "C" or higher.

How Does The Credit Transfer Process Work?

  1. Once all transcripts are received by Admissions, they are sent to the Registrar. The Registrar completes a degree audit and sends it to you (usually within two weeks). This document shows how your courses will transfer in to meet General Education requirements.

  2. When you register for classes, your adviser will help determine how courses within your major will be used (sometimes this can be done before registration, if you visit).


Visiting Campus

We encourage transfer students to visit campus so they can connect with faculty and experience our community on a more personal level. We can accommodate visits any weekday during the academic year and can include a meeting with a faculty member or a class visit (we prefer at least 10 days notice to coordinate meetings with professors). We also accept visits on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Faculty appointments are not available on weekends.

Financial Aid

Transfer students are eligible for all types of freshman aid except for the Freshman Academic Scholarship. However, IWU offers a Transfer Academic Scholarship for students who have completed at least 24 credit hours before enrolling at IWU. An additional $1,000 scholarship is possible for members of Phi Theta Kappa who transfer to IWU.

Residential Housing

Indiana Wesleyan University offers transfer students the opportunity to live in a special housing community designed to help them transition into the IWU community. Students learn about the campus and culture of IWU from resident assistants who provide intentional programming opportunities. Theme housing is available for a limited number of non-freshman transfer students, based on a first-come, first-served basis.

Mary C. Dodd Honors Program

IWU's John Wesley Honors College has designed an honors program for transfer students who are academic high achievers and want to glorify God with their gifts. If you are a college freshman or sophomore with at least 15 credit hours of coursework at an accredited college or university and a collegiate GPA of 3.6 or higher, we encourage you to consider and apply for the Mary C. Dodd Honors Program.

Visit Campus

Discover campus life for yourself

Scholarship Calculator

Calculate your eligibility for academic awards

Financial Aid Estimator

Find options to make your IWU education more affordable

Tuition & Costs

View a breakdown of costs associated with attending IWU