IWU's Online Learning Management System provides students with a "virtual classroom" in which to interact with faculty and fellow working professionals. While the specific structure can vary slightly by degree program, they all share a number of basic features and functions:
- Course Material: Includes the course syllabus, explanations of assignments and activities, and information about the faculty member teaching the course.
- Discussion Forums: Where students and faculty participate in asynchronous discussions of key course topics.
- Project Teams: Area that provides asynchronous discussion forums, synchronous live chat interface, whiteboard collaborative software, and file exchange server to facilitate and coordinate team interaction.
- Assignment Manager: The faculty's online inbox and outbox, where students submit their completed assignments and receive them back with comments and grading. Students have access only to their own assignments.
- Gradebook: Shows each student the grades he or she has received on all assignments. Students can only view their own grades.
- Student Support: Links to Off-Campus Library Services, Student Services Office, Technical Support, Frequently Asked Questions, and other services.
These resources mean that students are literally only a mouse-click away from their classmates, faculty, and university administrators.
With this combination of communication and learning technologies, online students enjoy a rich, vibrant educational experience that connects them with other highly motivated working professionals and knowledgeable, experienced faculty members.