The IWU School of Nursing is housed in a variety of locations on our main campus in Marion, Indiana, and also offers nursing programs at our Education Centers in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky, as well as online.
Our pre-licensure Patient Care Simulation Lab features stellar, cutting-edge, state-of-the-art facilities. The lab is a "safe" place for students to practice their skills and critical thinking. Students in every clinical specialty (medical/surgical, maternal/child, leadership, mental health and critical care) spend time in the lab. Video capabilities permit students to review clinical actions and reasoning. Lab faculty, who are professional nurses, model professional skills and socialize students into the art and science of nursing.
The lab has the following equipment and capabilities:
3 SimMan High-Fidelity Patient Simulators
The SimMan is an advanced patient simulator with realistic anatomy and clinical functionality. The SimMan provides simulation-based education to challenge and test students' clinical and decision-making skills during realistic patient care scenarios.
Some of the functions the SimMan demonstrates include:
- Vital signs, including blood pressure.
- Heart sounds and rhythms.
- Vocal sounds such as coughing, moaning and talking.
- Extremities with pulse points for palpation.
- Breath sounds and bowel sounds.
- Scenario programming.
8 VitalSim Medium-Fidelity Patient Simulators (2 Nursing Anne, 1 Nursing Kelly, 3 Nursing Kid, and 2 Nursing Baby)
The VitalSim simulators are designed for scenario-based training of the care and management of a wide variety of in-hospital patients. Training includes blood pressure measurement, sounds auscultation, and limited vocal sounds. These full-body adult, child and infant manikins are perfect for beginning education of in-hospital health care professionals.
- Nursing Anne is a female manikin used for clinical training in women's health, obstetrics, postpartum care, and general patient assessment and care.
- Nursing Kelly is a full-body adult male manikin with interchangeable wound modules.
- Nursing Kid represents a six-year-old child and is ideal for clinical training in core pediatric in-hospital clinical skills.
- Nursing Baby is an infant manikin designed for students to learn general pediatric or infant care.
5 Low-Fidelity Adult Patient Simulators (Static)
These manikins are used to facilitate basic care practices such as range of motion, bathing, urinary catheterization, CPR, and identification of intramuscular sites, to name a few. These cost-effective and full-body manikins do not have any electronic modules. They are non-tethered and easily moved.
2 Ready-or-Not Tots
These manikins teach the student the demands of parenting, as well as proper baby handling and care. The manikin can be programmed to cry at selected intervals around the clock. Sessions can be recorded, then evaluated and graded by the instructor.
Additional Capabilities and Equipment
- 4 Low-Fidelity Patient Simulators
- 32 Standard Manikins
- 25 Beds
- 1 Crib
- 5 Infant Bassinets
- 2 Transport Stretchers