About Our Students
Over the years, the IWU School of Theology and Ministry has prepared many leaders for service in the church. Our graduates include:
- Tom Armiger (1976), Wesleyan Church General Superintendent.
- Steve DeNeff (1981), Senior Pastor, College Wesleyan Church, Marion, Ind.
- Ryan Frank (1998), Executive Director of KidzMatter and Publisher of K! Magazine; Executive Director of Innovative Ministries, Awana Clubs International.
- Kevin Myers (1982), Senior Pastor, 12Stone Church, Atlanta, Ga., one of the fastest-growing churches in the United States.
- Wayne Schmidt (1979), Founder and Senior Pastor, Kentwood Community Church, Grand Rapids, Mich.; now Vice President of Wesley Seminary.
- Mark Wilson (1984), Senior Pastor, Hayward Wesleyan Church, Hayward, Wis.
- Dennis Jackson (1980), Former Senior Pastor, Spring Lake Wesleyan Church, Grand Rapids, Mich.; now Executive Director of Global Partners.
Our relationship with students is not limited to the four years they are on campus. IWU faculty continue to relate to graduates as advisers and mentors for a decade or more following graduation. We are proud of all our graduates - not just those who pastor "super churches" or become denominational administrators.
Keith Drury, one of our faculty members, describes some recent graduates on his blog http://iwishiwereayoda.blogspot.com:
I'm Proud of Chelo & Laura!
Marcelo Santana came to IWU from Puerto Rico, but I didn't get to really know him until Paul Kind invited Marcelo along for a month of hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail. What a wonderful guy he turned out to be. How I came to love and admire Marcelo! He was an intrepid hiker who never seemed to have a bad day - even though he often fell into rivers and streams while attempting too-long jumps across the rocks. He sang lustily on the trail so that I could hear him a half mile away.
Read more about Marcelo and Laura @ http://iwishiwereayoda.blogspot.com.
Dave Mierau - Pastor in Goshen, IN
Dave Mierau graduated from IWU in 2005 and is now pastor at LifeSpring Community Church in Goshen, Indiana. It is a very relational, laid-back church packed with mature leaders and a lot of diversity in age and occupations, including quite a few students from Goshen College who attend. Dave's church runs about a hundred people but he has five people on staff. How does he pull this off? There are five staffers, each at about ten hours a week - most of them, of course, are bi-vocational.
Read more about Dave @ http://iwishiwereayoda.blogspot.com.
Dustin Krantz - Apprentice Youth Minister
Dustin graduated with a Christian Ministries degree. When he was here, he was involved at College Wesleyan Church and he especially focused on the college ministry of seven47. He was always active in classes, and his ever-present smile always made me want to continue teaching another year! Dustin started looking for internships the summer before his final year. He wanted to serve as an intern before launching into a full ministry position.
Read more about Dustin @ http://iwishiwereayoda.blogspot.com.
Lynne Payne - Children's Minister
Lynne Payne was an atheist for the first 16 years of her life. She had never been to church until a friend invited her to youth group at Lakeview Church in Marion, IN. As she attended youth group for the next several months, the youth pastor and his wife (Brandon and Jennifer Bruce) invested in Lynne's life and she hungered to know Jesus. She was saved at a youth group event. The Bruces mentored Lynne for several years. Lynne was a senior in high school when she felt the Lord calling her into full-time ministry as a children's minister.
Read more about Lynne @ http://iwishiwereayoda.blogspot.com.